My Friday Fives are mostly short & sweet. I kind of throw it together before bed on Thursday night or bright and early Friday mornings, but it doesn’t require a lot of thought. Sometimes I need to check in about life in general, not just my week-to-week life. So here are some of the thoughts and realizations I’ve had lately, big and small.
- I like beer. But not the whole Bud Light thing… mostly wheat beers. I have no idea what beer being hoppy means, but I’m making baby steps and will hopefully have an update soon. 😉
- My cats are getting fat. Which is totally my fault and I feel bad that we’re going to have to go into diet mode soon.
- Grad school is peaking my interest – Community Development specifically. I am meeting with a professor from Iowa State on Monday to explore the options and see what could or could not happen and when. I’m extremely open minded about it all. I figure if I don’t ask I won’t know, so off I go.
- I feel at peace… most of the time. There are days when I drive myself absolutely crazy, but I specifically remember driving to work on a Monday morning and things just felt at ease. Things have fallen into place in really incredible ways this year and I am so grateful.
- Going the extra mile is always worth it. This is not my forte at all, but when I send the card, meet with the random students, make the calls, send the text or email, put my phone away, run the extra one mile, whatever, it always pays off. Notice things, notice people, be present, listen.
- Paleo does make me feel better. I did the 30-day challenge (minus a few days here and there) and felt incredible when I could string together a week of no dairy, no grains, etc. It definitely made me more aware of how foods make me feel and I have completely cut out some things because of the Whole30 Challenge. My sweet tooth though… that will always be my downfall in life.
- I am absolutely not the typical 24-year-old girl. And this reeeeally bothers me. I like to get up early, go to bed early, talk about finances, make goals, plan my meals and I tend to avoid clubs & immature humans. At times, I feel like I’m missing out on my twenties, a time to be carefree and free spirited. I hope that I can embrace this fact about me in year 25, but for now I’m struggling to accept this about myself.
- Life is so much more than being with someone. I have so many friends right now looking for “the one.” And I support anyone who is pursuing their dreams, but I am so anti-dating right now. I get encouragement from so many people in their 30s and 40s to take time to explore my passions and dreams and not worry about dating. And honestly, I’ve always felt that way, but assumed it was wrong.
- I can do several TTB (toes to bar) at CrossFit and HSPU (hand stand push ups) with two mats under my head. I don’t go as often as I could or should, but this past month I’ve had the realization that hey girl, you got this.
- As always, I’m on Tumblr, updating favorites quotes & pictures a few times a week. It’s my source of inspiration, a way I spend downtime and let my mind go slightly numb.
I’m happy. I am almost always happy because I think that we get to choose our emotions and our actions. I can wake up in the morning and choose who I want to be and what I want to say and how I want to act. I think that’s cool. There are far more things I could list above, but that’s what I got for now. 🙂