About 50% of the day I’m fantasizing about food, so I decided to share some of the places I think about when I’m hungry. Hungry meaning, gosh I hope this beer makes me full and hungry like, give me five pounds of brisket. A lot of this list centers around moderately-priced food & beverages and not super fancy spaces. All of these are in Des Moines, Iowa. Enjoy!
1. Centro for breakfast. I have no idea what it is about their breakfast pizza that makes my heart throb, but it’s very real. Throw in a visit to the bloody mary bar and you’ll be ready for your Sunday afternoon nap by 1:00.
2. Eatery A. This place was such a hit when it hit Ingersoll. It completely transformed an old Blockbusters and added this fabulous patio space. Tight on cash? No problem. Their 3-6 p.m. happy hour means pizza and wine are half off. Half. Split a bottle of wine and pizza and you barely spent over $10.
3. Confluence. The big open, warehouse-feel is such a great brew house space. Z and I love going there; I’m hooked on their Rock Dodger Double IPA (and most DIPAs honestly) and that it’s right off the bike trail. You also get the pleasure of eating at whatever food truck plants its little self on the south side of the building’s main entrance. I love the surprise of it & always look forward to checking their social media page before we go.
4. Americana. Champagne Fridays + their truffle fries. Nuff said.
5. Ritual Cafe. I rarely go there, but when I do go there, I almost always grab their peanut butter (plus a dozen other healthy wonderful vegan-y things in it) granola bar. The Mayan Mocha is pretty stellar too & you don’t normally find that at other coffee shops in Des Moines.
6. Blu. This is my go to in the East Village. Why? Because it’s the closest restaurant (besides Ceviche) and it has my all-time favorite Panang Curry. I loooove their Panang Curry and urge you to try it (no spice added for this girl).
7. I would curse myself if I didn’t say La Mie, so here it is. This place gets all the high rankings. Do yourself a favor and get in around 7:00 a.m. when they open and avoid the madness from their popularity that comes around 8:00 a.m. and then the rest of the day. They also have a great patio out back when it’s sunshiney.
8. Exile. This restaurant has my favorite interior design, just barely ahead of Malo. Not a huge beer fan, but if you need a little pick me up, their lacey fries do it. I don’t know what is on those sweet potato fries, but I want my daily snacks to include a handful of those a day! Yum. Plus, Power Life Yoga does free yoga + beer once a month in the summers.
9. Sakari. I don’t necessarily love going to Sakari as much as I love taking out their sushi. I’ve been out to sushi so many places and I always go back for Sakari. If you are looking for a fun place, Sakari is definitely the place where Jagerbombs are in basically everyone’s hands…or tummies.
10. Flying Mango. I sometimes forget about this place because I really have no reason to go towards Beaverdale, but the brisket, the ribs, the cornbread, the “homey” atmosphere… they just do it right!
11. Mars Cafe. I’m here the most out of all these places. It’s my favorite cup of coffee (drip/Chemex/V60/whatever) and it’s where I stock up on my beans for home. There’s this breakfast sandwich there and I’m blanking on the name. Wheat toast, pesto, egg, provolone (plus maybe some other things). Totally failed, but it’s got a space related name & you need it.