Well, hello world.
I took a slight break from Friday Fives after my grandma passed, which is right around the same time George Floyd’s death created a powerful response in which I chose to stay quieter on social media to allow black voices to be amplified. I’m back though to continue the documentation of life through this little blog.
1. In my learning (and unlearning) about black lives in our country, I purchased How to be an Antiracist. There are a handful of others I plan to read as well thanks to so many people sharing recommendations. I am choosing to buy from black-owned businesses more intentionally like BLK & BOLD and Formed Clay Designs. I am using my voice + social platform to share what I’m learning and to read more information. Without sounding like I’m marking things off a checklist, I am trying to support the black community in as many ways as possible and hope that our continual sharing keeps reminding people to show up.
2. A lot of people have asked lately how business is going. It’s a common question considering COVID. And my response is that it’s fine and has stayed relatively consistent. My love local business wasn’t impacted by COVID as much as I thought it might be. A couple projects paused, but I was able to bring on a few new clients as well! Outside of working 1:1 with people, I’ve got my digital products and courses that are selling and making an impact (while also allowing me to meet new people outside of Des Moines, which is fun!). I’m also diving deep into hummingbirds as new clients come on board and we get closer to launching our second iteration of the website.
3. I realized how much time we were spending on our front porch, so I made a little oasis with our indoor plants. I’m still waiting to find the *perfect* set of chairs… I’m picky and don’t want to spend a fortune. It feels like I’ve looked allllll the places, but will always take recommendations.
4. I rescued three baby birds and am very proud to report at least two for SURE made it and they both have flown out of their whicker basket nest. I snapped this pic and it is my favorite!
5. I’m reeeeeally working on grace right now. I’ve missed birthdays, forgotten key things on my calendar, can’t seem to get back to text messages, haven’t found (or created) time to work out, and feel like I am failing in a handful of areas. I constantly feel like two people are on two different shoulders… one is like “hey girl it’s totally cool just chill.” And the other is like “why is it so hard for you to just write a thank you card or text someone back?” I was already not so good at all those things I listed and then motherhood exacerbated it.
This is definitely a learning curve for me and something I’ve been trying to understand more about myself. Like, am I just going to be the friend/partner/person who forgets major things and it’s just who I am – take it or leave it? Or do I need to try harder? Am I too self-absorbed? Do I care too much? Not enough? LOLOLOL. Please, anyone, tell me I’m not alone. 😂