I hope everyone had an amazing week! We are getting some spring weather in Iowa and watching the flowers blooming is making my walks with Penelope extra joyful.
1. I saw this the other day on Girl Boss Instagram and it reminded me to reshift focus back to me. I don’t need to be where someone else is or follow the path someone else is taking. When I come back to my own desires, own goals, own dreams that’s when I feel things falling into place so much more. It’s way too easy in today’s super connected world to see how others are building their vision board and almost subconsciously try to create something similar because “it’s working for them,” but it’s so much more complex than that. Anyway, I liked this quote + design so I’m sharing it. 😁
2. Beautycounter launched Skin Twin, their newest take on foundation, and it is luxurious my friends. Hydrating, amazing coverage, incredible blend, and zero percent cake-y. Are foundations even cake-y anymore? I vaguely remember experiences with really crappy foundation from high school and college but hopefully the options are better these days. 😂As always, bulk order goes in end of month for my Des Moines pals if you see something you love or want to try. I handle the shipping for ya!
I’ll be stocking up on sunscreen here soon and encourage you to do your own research on what brand you’ll be using for yourself and your family. This study by Harvard is just one example of important information coming about the chemical load in sunscreens. Best to be your own advocate in this area since many brands are doing the bare minimum to protect consumers from harmful ingredients.
3. Our short bus weekend trip was so much fun and honestly… easy! I had reservations about being gone a while with Penelope being so young but she was a champ. In fact, upon coming home she was really cranky so we started to wonder if she just prefers Nebraska. Working on a write-up of the weekend trip! We’ve covered a LOT of miles to the west on our bicycles and can’t wait to get more in when we have a long period to travel this fall!
4. I’m a huge James Clear fan. My friend Jenny recommended the book Atomic Habits and I loved it so much I wanted to keep learning from James so I’ve been getting his weekly emails and they are nuggets of gold everywhere. Habits are always something intriguing to me. I know the value deeply, but struggle to nail down some really important ones! We’re all a work in progress, right? 😅Anyway, his email yesterday had this in it and I absolutely LOVE this.
The cellist, composer, and conductor, Pablo Casals, on being unique:
“Each second we live in a new and unique moment of the universe, a moment that never was before and will never be again. And what do we teach our children in school? We teach them that two and two make four, and that Paris is the capital of France. When will we also teach them what they are? We should say to each of them: Do you know what you are? You are a marvel. You are unique. In all of the world there is no other child exactly like you. In the millions of years that have passed there has never been another child like you… You may become a Shakespeare, a Michelangelo, a Beethoven. You have the capacity for anything. Yes, you are a marvel. And when you grow up, can you then harm another who is like you, a marvel? You must cherish one another. You must work—we must all work—to make this world worthy of its children.”
5. I need some good veggie burger recipes or store-bought options. If you have some favorites, please share! I’m working on adding more veggies into my life and have had some really good and really bad veggie burgers.